ine@mit software and mathematics

7Jun/120

DisplayPort to HDMI adapter breaks wifi on Macbook Pro 2010

I was getting set up in a new location for work when I realized that my wifi had died. Curious, I ran "airport -I" (airport's not a built in, but I aliased it like so: /usr/sbin/airport -> /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport) at the shell and observed that I saw a 10db signal strength drop when I plugged in my external monitor. Hmmm. At first I thought it was the placement of my HDMI cable, but further testing revealed that it was independent of the cable position.

Since I don't have direct HDMI output on my Mac, I suspected the non-Apple adapter. I was about to order a new adapter when I ran across this Apple support article: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1365

> Certain external monitors and LCD displays: Certain displays may emit harmonic interference, especially in the 2.4GHz band between channels 11 and 14. This interference may be at its worst if you have a portable computer with the lid closed and an external monitor connected to it. Try changing your access point to use 5 Ghz or a lower 2.4 GHz channel.

I switched the router (2.4Ghz) to channel 1 from channel 6 and voila, the problem instantly resolved itself!

Comments (0) Trackbacks (0)